Alan Keef Limited
Patrick Keef, Managing Director
I would be very pleased and proud to have Alan Keef Ltd formally support the Downs Light Railway Trust, in general, and your Centenary Development Programme in particular. I have huge admiration for what you and the Trust are doing. Anything that enthuses youngsters to get involved in engineering and technology generally, and railways big or small specifically, should be encouraged!
The trustees and I really pleased to receive the support and endorsement of our Centenary Programme from Alan Keef Limited. Alan Keef Limited has supported the Downs Light Railway for over 30 years, whether this has been by carrying out emergency repairs to our locomotives, providing expert advice, or facilitating visits for the children at their works in Ross-On-Wye.
Patrick Keef, their current Managing Director, served as a trustee of the Downs Light Railway Trust between 1991 and 2018. Between 1995 and 2004, Patrick chaired the Board of Trustees and supported James Boyd with the operational running of the railway.
- Alan Keef Limited was founded in 1968 and has remained a family owed and run enterprise specialising in narrow guage railways.
- Patrick Keef is the Managing Director, with his father Alan and sister Alice as Directors.
- The Downs Light Railway Trust is a charitable trust, registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales. Registration number is 513882.
- The Downs Light Railway Trust's Centenary Development Programme aims to increase youth engagement in heritage railways, provide greater practical learning opportunities and strengthened community involvement. The programme hopes to realise these aims from 2025 when the Downs Light Railway is 100 years old.
- The Downs Light Railway was started by The Downs School (Colwall), now The Downs Malvern, in the early 1920s and was formally established in 1925. At over 96 years old, it stands to be the oldest private miniature railway worldwide.
- The Downs Light Railway educates on average 15 children on each session. These children are aged between 7 and 18 years old. Dedicated sessions are provided to local educational establishments. General youth activities are open to all children.